Turnkey IoT All Weather Home Earth Monitor | RS 1D
Features & Benefits
- Plug-and-play solution
- Includes the Raspberry Pi board and all components
- Comes pre built with everything you need to have your Raspberry Shake working right out of the box
- Includes a custom built rain proof, dust proof, bug proof, all weather enclosure
What you have included in this listing is one brand new pre made Raspberry Shake unit with a heavy duty fully sealed enclosure, complete with all components, and Raspberry Pi board – tried and tested and ready to shake. Being the complete ready to go kit, put together by our experts and featuring our custom built all weather case, we have called it the “Magnitude 9 with IP67 enclosure”.
Need some extra protection? No problem, we’ve got you covered.
The hardened enclosure, included with the Raspberry Shake here, will protect against rainfall, dust and bugs. We call this an “IP67” enclosure which means that it is dust tight and resistant to incursion of water from powerful water jets.
This turn-key personal earthquake detection device is ideal for hobbyists, creators, tech geeks and geophysical institutes alike who want to install their Raspberry Shake outside.
For your added peace of mind, we test the unit for a few days to make sure that every single software element is working to spec and that your Raspberry Shake is well calibrated
To get started just take your Raspberry Shake out of the box, plug it in and connect to see the earth move.
The Raspberry Shake and some of the software that lives on the Raspberry Pi are licensed under the OSOP Raspberry Shake License. We have made this available at no additional charge for personal use. If you are interested in commercial or institutional use or some use other than for a personal hobby activity, please purchase the License. You can read the license terms here.
Raspberry Shake is an OSOP Product.
Get your Raspberry Shake today and start watching the Earth move, shake and wiggle!
- 1x Raspberry Shake circuit board
- 1x vertical Earth motion monitoring sensor (“geophone”, 4.5 Hz) with cables
- 1x Raspberry Pi single-board computer
- 1x IP67 Weather proof enclosure
- 1x aluminum mounting and leveling base
- 1x 8 GB Micro SD Card (pre-programmed and fully tested)
- 1x Ethernet Cable with IP67 field kit
- 1x 5V 2.5 Amp power supply (US- Type A) with IP67 water-resistant connector
- Earthquakes happen all the time! The Earth is always in motion. Now you can see it!
- Each Raspberry Shake is carefully put together by our experts and built with industrial quality hardware
- Watch the Earth’s vibrations right from your home or office in real time!
- Monitor earthquakes and other Earth movements happening right beneath your feet
- Easily record local earthquakes that you actually felt
- Record earthquakes magnitude 2 and up within a radius of around 50 miles (80 km)
- Record earthquakes magnitude 4 and up within a radius of around 250 miles (400 km)
- Watch larger magnitude earthquakes roll in from half-way across the world. You won’t feel these but your Raspberry Shake will!
- Record earthquakes with vanishingly small magnitudes imperceptible to your human senses but easily seen with your Raspberry Shake.
- Monitor and analyze the data from any other Raspberry Shake in the global network (there are hundreds).
- Check out our Android app and get instant earthquake updates on your phone
- Become a citizen scientist, make a difference and share your data with seismic observatories worldwide
- Connect directly with your Raspberry Shake to view a live graphic feed of the Earth’s vibrations
- Create or use interpretation software to better understand what is happening around you
The Earth is always shakingggggg! From local tremors, traffic rumbling by, fracking & quarry explosions and even nuclear testing, to the BIG earthquakes that hit half a world away… NOW you can see it ALL! The fun begins with Raspberry Shake, your professional grade personal earthquake detection device – or “seismograph” as the Pros call it! Raspberry Shake conveniently snaps right onto Raspberry Pi, the most popular single-board personal computer in the tech world.
Raspberry Shake is a very clever little custom circuit board, that fits right onto the most popular single-board personal computer, the Raspberry Pi, transforming it into a professional grade personal seismograph. It is probably the smallest seismograph of its caliber in existence, but don’t let its size fool you – It can record earthquakes of all magnitudes, from the vanishingly small blips that are imperceptible to human senses, to the big destructive earthquakes that regularly happen around the world.
As soon as the Raspberry Shake is plugged in and set up, you can see, record and analyze the Earth’s motion in real time!
Raspberry Shake has two main components:
- The main sensor is a geophone. You can think of it as a microphone for Earth vibrations. It is a rugged little Earth motion sensor that has been the standard in the oil exploration business for decades. As the Earth’s tectonic plates move about, as volcanoes erupt, as we inject fluids into the land around us (“frak-ing”) and as we build more high-rise buildings, the Earth’s brittle crust cracks and creaks. The geophone is an exquisitely sensitive sensor about the size of your thumb and has been finely tuned to accurately measure even the smallest disturbances.
- The amplifier, digitizer and ARM processor. These things work in unison so that you can see the Earth’s motion continuously and in real-time on your computer screen.
How it all comes together: As the geophone captures the vibrations of the Earth, these vibrations are then amplified with ultra-quiet state-of-the-art Op Amps. Once amplified, the analog signal is digitized, the data is shipped to the ARM processor and bundled into one-second packets that are sent to your Raspberry Pi computer. The Raspberry Pi timestamps the data and stores it in a seismic industry standard data format (called miniSEED).
There are soooo many cool things you can do with your Raspberry Shake, for the novice and for the more advanced user.
For the novice, as soon as you are set up, you can start watching the Earth move and see if you can identify any patterns with local factors. These may include seeing spikes as your neighbor’s head out to work, traffic, construction and, of course, tremors and earthquakes or even volcanic eruptions!
For the advanced user, there are tons of things you can jump into, from building your own enclosure to using / creating interpretation software to better understand what is happening around you – Whether it is to analyze tremors and earthquakes, or construction work, your washing machine’s spin cycles, local shale frak-ing and deep-well injection activities (hello Oklahoma!) and even football (soccer) games!
It’s fun to make, fun to program, and fun to watch the Earth moveeeeee!
Model RS 1D Magnitude 9 + IP67 Compatible Raspberry Pi Models Ships with 3 Model B Connectivity Wifi or Ethernet System Requirements Windows, Linux or Mac OS compatible License Free for school teachers / personal use. License must be purchased for government, research or commercial use. Warranty The Raspberry Shake circuit board and geophone components come with a one year guarantee. Full details. Specifications Click here. Shipping All products are shipped by INCOTERM DAP. The buyer assumes all responsibility for import duties and taxes. Shipping Terms.